Checklist of Items to Submit:
The following items must be included with your grant application package, in addition to the online grant application requirements:
- One completed application form with requested information. Print application as it prints with no alterations, no change in spacing, font or size of font.
- Signatures: The application must have 2 original signatures, not electronic, Executive Director, president or chair of your board of directors or other officer are all acceptable.
- Copy of most recent IRS letter indicating current 501(c)(3) status. (If your organization’s name has changed, the IRS letter must reflect that change.)
- Financial information on your organization:
a. Most recent annual financial statements (audited statements preferred)
b. Current fiscal year budget with a statement of year-to-date income and expenses.
c. Copy of your organization’s most recent IRS Form 990
d. Annual budget for the fiscal year in which the proposed project/program will be
conducted, if different from the current fiscal year.
e. Program budget for proposed project/program.
- A single-sided list of members of your board of directors and a single-sided list of staff members associated with the project/program and the date they joined your organization. Please indicate the titles of the officers of the board.
- An executive summary of the proposal. This should be on the petitioning organization’s letterhead and should be signed by an authorized official of the organization. It should be limited to two single spaced pages and should have a left-hand margin of no less than one inch on paper that will photocopy. The first paragraph should contain a sentence stating the specific amount and purpose for the request. The summary should contain the following: a concise description of the project; description of the petitioning organization; total funds required of the project; other funding sources; need for the project; objectives of the project; method and criteria for evaluation of the project.
- All documents should be printed single sided and not be stapled.
Guidelines for Giving
- Private, nonprofit, tax-exempt organizations with certified IRS 501(c)(3) public charity status and that are not private foundations.
- Organizations receiving grants must be located in Craven, Pamlico or Jones Counties or provide services and benefits directly to Craven, Pamlico and Jones Counties.
In all proposals, applicant organizations must clearly identify and quantify the people in Craven, Pamlico and Jones counties served by their organization as well as designating those specifically benefiting by the grant award requested.
Grants for construction (including naming opportunities) or acquisition of equipment will be considered on a case-by-case basis within the parameters of other grant guidelines.
Grants will not usually be awarded when they are the total means of financial support. Challenge or matching grants, as well as multi-year awards, will be considered in conjunction with other sources and fundraising efforts. Collaborative efforts are encouraged.
Grants are not awarded to an organization to be used as pass-through funds for another organization that is not a 501(c)(3) public charity or governmental entity.
Grants are never made to the following:
- Organizations not located in, or providing services and benefits directly to the people in Craven, Pamlico and Jones Counties unless affiliated with East Carolina University.
- Political campaigns
- Activities that influence legislation
- Religious organizations seeking funds for theological purposes
Applications are also discouraged for the following:
- Services the public sector should be reasonably expected to provide.
- Endowments or memorials.
- Amounts clearly unrealistic for the Foundation’s budget.
Applicant organizations are required to provide their most recent accounting financial statements. Organizations that received grants are also required to provide such reports annually for the duration of the grant. An audited financial statement is preferred. A compilation or review report are only acceptable if the applicant does not have its statements audited.
If you need a consultation to discuss your proposal with a member of the Foundation’s administrative staff, please schedule an appointment at least two weeks prior to submitting your application. You can reach us by telephone at 252-638-1998.
Completing the Application:
Please read these instructions carefully before completing the application form. Review the “Checklist of Items to Submit” to be sure all required items are included in your application package.
Your responses should be designed to fit the amount of space provided on the application form. Do not use “See Attached.” However, you may include supplementary materials describing your project or program (e.g., brochures, newspaper articles).
All application materials must be single sided (excluding brochures and CPA audits) and have no staples or clips.
Handwritten applications or applications with responses taped onto the form are not acceptable and the application will be returned.
The application must have original signatures of the Executive Director, president or chair of your board of directors or other officer are all acceptable. Electronic, Mechanical, copied, or stamped signatures are not acceptable and your application will be returned.
We require only one copy of the application form, supplemental schedules and the proposal summary. Include one (1) copy of any supplementary materials, such as brochures, pamphlets, pictures, etc. Please print all documents one sided.
Grant Application Deadline:
For your application package to be considered, it must be completed in its entirety exactly as requested. Have two appropriate signatures, and arrive in our office by the close of business on the deadline day or postmarked with the deadline date. The deadline dates are specified on page one of the application as well as on the website.
We do not accept applications submitted to us by fax or email. The board meets in the month following the application deadline to evaluate the proposals. Shortly thereafter, the applicant organization will be notified of the board’s decision. Applications should be submitted to us at the following address:
The Harold H. Bate Foundation, Inc.
P.O. Box 14298
New Bern, NC 28561